Monday 9 December 2013

GC: Editing development

  • During the past few days, I have developed the video significantly. First of all after the final shoot (strangling scene), I simply selected the usable footage and dragged it onto the timeline in order to roughly cut it up and see the order in which the shots went. After this, because it filled up so much of the timeline, I was forced to cut it down further in order to make it fit.
  • On top of this, I then re-arranged all three scenes (shoplifting, car theft, strangling), into order. This was important as these three scenes were the basis for our video. After positioning them I had to select some of the weaker shots to cut out in order to make all the scenes fit in. Also, where there were some cuts that did not make complete sense, I had to mark where these were on the timeline by dragging the two shots up onto the 'video 2' line so I would know where I absolutely had to cut in performance shots to ensure the narrative made sense.
  • Also I used marker points on the timeline in order to mark where the key turning points in the track were, such as where singing started/stopped, and where the music dropped. These markers were helpful as they enabled me to line up appropriate shots in order to help sync the visuals and audio together to enhance audience understanding.
  • After Andy had lined up all the lip syncing for the performance to the music, this allowed me to easily see where I needed to cutaway from the narrative to include singing to the camera shots. This in turn meant I didn't spend time editing the clips around the track only to find out I had missed out on a chance to intercut performance.
  • I used the 'video 3' line to display to singing parts of the performance and then the 'video 4' line in order to display the performance shots that were not singing. This made it easier to identify which clips I had left to cut in, and also it meant that I could drag the performance shots over the top of the narrative without having to cut the narrative footage to save time.

No comments:

Post a Comment